20 Jul 2006

ebay experiences

I’ve bitten the bullet and have created a sellers account on ebay.

I decided to see what interest (if any) there would be in some of my handspun.

The whole process of posting the first skein took about 15 minutes.

Micheál said that if I wanted to make any money out of ebay I’d have to do it a bit quicker! Luckily, the second skein took only a few minutes to post as the process had been saved from the first one. Most of the time was taken up with ebay uploading the photos.

What have I learned from the process?

I need to take better photos.

I need to ensure that all the photos are taken at the same time to reflect the same colours.

Not to take one lot of photos inside and the next lot outside, due to the lighting differences.

I like the font that Micheáls PC kindly let me use for the description of the yarn!

I need to wind the skeins a bit better

Alternatively, I need to artistically arrange them like some of the yarn that is featured on ebay.

I need to ensure that the ties that I use to hold the skein together aren’t loud and contrasting like the ones I used (compared to the colour of the skein)

I probably need to ensure that they don’t show in the photo’s I took.

I probably need to put more information up about the usual stuff like postage, returns, emailing me, etc.

I didn’t realise that for every extra bit you wanted to put in, you would be charged for.

In saying that, the charges were in cents, not euros (apart from a few).

I probably needed to elaborate on the description a bit more.

It was definitely a learning process, I thought that it would be difficult to set up and it wasn’t. Ebay brought me through all the steps I needed to take.

What would I change the next time?

Photo quality

I would plan what I wanted to write a bit better, although I had done a rudimentary plan beforehand.

I would wind the skeins a bit more “artistically”

More skeins to put up and see if they will sell!

So there you go.

Listings are here if you want to have a look, let me know if you think I should add/change something for the next time, won’t you?

Raspberry Ripple

Campino

6 Comments:

At 14:26, Blogger Sharon in Ireland/NZ said...

Well done Sara. Hope this is the beginning of some yarn selling adventures for you.

 
At 17:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! There are no weeds growing under your feet! Fair play to ya! It seems as though you've covered all your bases in your critique of your first eBay posting. Let us know how it goes.

 
At 23:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link isn't working for me. Could you post it again? I'd love to see your handspun.

Another good selling tip is to give your yarn an irresistable name. I find it much harder to resist buying something called, say, 'Chocolate Mint Chip Hand-dyed and Handspun Galway Cross Yarn ' than just 'Hand-dyed and Handspun Galway Cross Yarn'

Secret Pal

 
At 08:22, Blogger tangelled angel said...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hand-dyed-and-Handspun-Galway-Cross-Yarn_W0QQitemZ140009933414QQihZ004QQcategoryZ83944QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hand-dyed-and-Handspun-Galway-Cross-Yarn_W0QQitemZ140009929158QQihZ004QQcategoryZ83944QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I tried to copy the links the last time and it seemed to bring you into my sellers page, which is why I didnt post the actual link at the time.
I'll edit this post and include them now...
And all selling tips have been noted, thanks!

 
At 03:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! Purty!

I'd call the red and white one "Strawberries and Cream".

Secret Pal

 
At 01:10, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Big congrats on starting to sell your own fiber on Ebay!! Looks good to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home